Course #7 Getting more out of Digital Video in Language Education
Getting more out of Digital Video in Language Education
Course Nr.: # 7
Teachers responsible for modern language learning in primary, secondary, vocational and adult education
Date / Location
Amsterdam (Netherlands): 2017, 22-27 October
Amsterdam (Netherlands): 2018, 25 Feb - 2 March
This 6-day course aims to:
further develop relevant teachers competences and confidence when using digital video in language education
promote teacher professionalism in evaluating and selecting available video resources, apps and production tools
develop participants' skills related to capturing, adapting and designing video content and developing related learning activities and materials
develop participants' skills in video and machinima production for a range of curriculum objectives and contexts from the classroom and blended learning, including flipping the classroom
The course activities include demonstrations of useful applications, exemplary materials and teaching practices followed-up with tutor-led presentations and discussions about methodological related topics.
Hands-on activities carried out by participants individually, in pairs and/or small groups include exploring tools, analyzing video clips and related lesson activities and creating content to be used in participants’ personal practice.
To address the anticipated variety in participants' interests and needs (in terms of tools, pedagogical approach, target groups and individual technology skills level) most tasks are designed in such a way that they can lead to differentiated relevant learning experiences and outcomes.
To provide flexible access to course related tasks and resources a virtual learning environment (VLE) will be used. After course access is offered to promote follow-up communication and collaborative learning when exchanging experiences with redesigned local practice samples.
A pre-course, online questionnaire will be provided to assess pre-knowledge and further align course content and procedures to needs and interests.
Day-to-Day Course Topics
• Meet & Greet / Introductions
• Course overview
• Cultural Event
• Questionnaire review / finetuning expectations
• Overview of ways to exploit video for (language) teaching purposes.
• Selecting appropriate videos and developing tasks to encourage student engagement & learning
• Reviewing resources for finding video clips to use in your teaching.
• Analysing and Developing instructional videos
• Evaluating Flipping-the-language classroom strategies
• Exploring online or mobile based video tools to edit video and/or create video based quizzes and learning activities.
• Activities to develop listening and viewing comprehension
• Video to enable synchronous and asynchronous online communication.
• Tools and procedures to support formative assessment activities
• Learner generated video to enhance language and digital skills.
• Developing videos for special purposes: shooting video in 3D environments
• Tools & methods for professional development using classroom recordings
• (Optional) Break-out session
• Finishing materials & micro teaching unit
• Presenting & sharing materials
• Briefing on follow-up activities, strategies for further professional development and sharing your know-how & ideas within school
• Course evaluation
TELLConsult (EU PIC number: 949744461) in collaboration with (EU project) partners.
The total fee for the course is: 580,- Euros (including organisation costs but exclusive of meals, social and cultural activities, travel and hotel costs)
Pre-registration is possible without any obligation and is recommended as the documents issued after pre-registration can support the organization of the school’s internal EU grant application and/or implementation procedure.
Pre-registration leads to full registration after payment of the invoice for the course fee sent to the school by TELLConsult course administration.
This course is eligible for ErasmusPlus KA1 Mobility Grants which can be applied for at your National Agency. Deadline for Grant Application is February 2, 2017
Course pre-registration cancellations by individual participants are accepted without additional costs if done in writing and before the running of the course has been confirmed (some 2.5 months before the course start date) .
In the event of course cancellation either by individual participants or TELLConsult the school can expect a payment refund within 10 days.
Only course fees are reimbursed so do NOT book any flights or hotel rooms before the course has been confirmed.
See this Page http://koenraad.info/content/faq-about-tellconsult-courses for further details.